My Soulmate (Mera Mahi)—Chapter 18
My Soulmate (Mera Mahi)
Chapter 18
Zareef's sudden appearance and blunt question left Mani paralyzed for a moment, his senses momentarily failing him. Struggling to compose himself, he managed to say in a trembling voice, "Oh... Uncle! I actually came to check on Mami's health. She had a severe headache earlier, so I thought I’d ask if she needs to see a doctor. I am ready to take her if needed. " Zareef nodded slowly upon hearing Mani’s explanation. "Then why are you standing out here? "Come inside," he said. "I also came back early because I felt Fizza wasn't doing well. She couldn't even sleep properly last night."
Hearing voices from outside, Fizza quickly composed herself and rushed into the washroom to splash water on her face, trying to appear fresh. She was in no mood for explanations or confrontations at that moment. When Zareef and Mani entered the room, Mani noticed Fizza was not there. Zareef gestured for Mani to sit on the sofa and waited for Fizza to emerge.
A few moments later, when Fizza came out of the washroom, Mani observed her face closely. Her eyes were swollen, and her complexion looked pale and withered. Before Mani could utter a word, Zareef spoke up, "Fizza! If you were feeling this unwell, you should have gone with Mani. Look at how worried this boy is." Fizza replied in a low, weak voice, "It’s just a slight temperature; I’ll be fine. I’ve already taken some medicine." Mani immediately interjected, "Mami! Did you take medicine on an empty stomach? You haven't eaten anything!" Concerned, Zareef said, "I’ll go tell the cook to prepare some soup," and stepped out of the room. Mani realized this was the window of opportunity he had been waiting for to speak with Fizza alone.
Fizza looked at Mani and asked softly, "Mani, why are you so restless?" Mani replied with deep sincerity, "I am worried about you, Mami. For the past few days—ever since that dinner—you’ve seemed so lost and burdened. You can talk to me. Uncle Zareef has always shared his problems with me. Even when Miah G was angry and refused to speak to anyone, I was the one who listened to him just to lighten his heart. Fizza took a deep breath, avoiding his gaze. "Mani, when I have something to say, I will tell you. For now, I just want to rest." With a heavy heart, Mani walked out of the room.
Mani’s mind was now a chaotic mess of thoughts. He was determined not to let Rehman succeed in any of his schemes against Fizza. He had always had an issue with Rehman, who, unlike the rest of the family, treated Mani more like a servant or a supervisor than a family member. In Rehman’s eyes, money held more value than human emotions. Rehman was even willing to bargain with his own son's life, unaware that his son had already made his own choice. Mani felt overwhelmed by the storms he was trying to manage: the secret marriage of Rija and Aneel, Rehman’s strange obsession with Fizza, and the dark shadows of Rija’s father's past. His head spun, wondering how he could possibly handle it all.
Meanwhile, Rija called Aneel. Without looking at the screen, Aneel answered irritably, "Ramsha! I’ve told you I’ll talk to you later; why do you keep calling?" Rija laughed softly. "Aneel, it’s me, Rija." Aneel quickly pressed the phone to his ear, his tone shifting instantly. "Oh, Rija! How are you? You didn't call or visit after the hospital; I thought you had forgotten me. Rija said sadly, "Aneel, there are so many troubles here that you’d be shocked to hear them." She then poured her heart out, telling him the entire story of her father’s first marriage and his cold behavior toward her mother.
Feeling Rija’s pain, Aneel consoled her, "Rija, that marriage was forced, which is why it ended up that way. But we won't do that to each other. Even if my father says I have to give up the inheritance, I will do it, but I will never leave your side. Your love runs through my veins. Don't worry about it." Rija felt a weight lift from her heart. She mentioned she had to go to the university the next day to submit assignments. Aneel shared the good news that his plaster would be removed by the end of the month, allowing him to take his exams. Their conversation was cut short when Rija heard her father’s voice, and she hurriedly hung up.
Siraj knocked on Rija’s door and asked, "Where is your mother? I’ve looked everywhere; she’s nowhere to be found." Rija was also surprised because her mother never went anywhere without telling her. They searched the entire house and the lawn, eventually heading toward the servant quarters. There, they found Zarmeenay in the guard's room. The guard's son was crying with a high fever. Showing her characteristic kindness, Zarmeenay had sent the guard to the doctor and was staying back to comfort his wife.
Siraj witnessed this and said sarcastically, "If your social work is finished, shall we go inside?" When Zarmeenay entered the house, she asked, "Why were you both looking for me? "Since when did I become so important to you?" Rija hugged her mother tightly. "Mama, you are the most important person to me." Suddenly, Siraj took Zarmeenay’s hand and said, "You are important." Zarmeenay was stunned by his sudden gentleness. She asked, "Am I really important to you? "Am I the first and last woman in your life?" Siraj stopped in his tracks and said, "No..." Rija held her breath, wondering if her father was about to confess the truth. But Siraj pivoted smoothly. "After you, Rija came along, so now there are two women in my life." Rija exhaled in relief, and Zarmeenay went to the kitchen with a smile.
Elsewhere, Ramsha was trying to call her father, but the line was constantly busy, causing her immense frustration. Just as she was about to give up and go out, her screen lit up with "Papa Calling."
"Papa! "I've been calling for so long; where were you?" she complained. Her father replied, "Daughter, I was discussing something very important." Curious, she asked, "Who were you so busy with?"
Her father revealed, "I was talking to the owner of Hashim & Group. He told me that one of Siraj’s men caught the person who attacked Aneel." Ramsha was shocked. "Papa, what do you have to do with Hashim?"
He replied coldly, "My child, in business, one must maintain such connections. You are still young. One day, when everything belongs to you through Aneel, I will work with Hashim and push Rehman out of the picture. I told Rehman many times to build a relationship with Hashim, but he refused. This attack was orchestrated by Hashim. I warned Rehman about that highway land, telling him those are powerful people and not to cross them, but he didn't listen. Now, Hashim’s shares are skyrocketing while Rehman’s company is plummeting. I’m thinking of pulling my investment out of Rehman’s firm and putting it into Hashim’s, but for that, I need patience—and your help."
"How, Papa?" Ramsha asked, confused.
His voice turned predatory. "Trap Aneel in the web of your fake love. Once our work is done, you can leave him. I’m not asking you to stay with him forever." Ramsha replied wearily, "But Papa, he doesn't even talk to me properly; he is obsessed with Rija."
Cruelty entered her father’s tone. "I will do something about that. This thorn named Rija must be removed from our path. Once she is gone, your way will be clear. Today, I will talk to Rehman about your marriage to Aneel. This marriage is just a 'deal.' As soon as Aneel transfers everything to your name, I will pull my capital, and whatever Rehman owns will be yours. After that, it’s up to you—keep him or divorce him."
Ramsha asked fearfully, "Papa, what if someone finds out?" Her father’s confident voice echoed back, "I have Rehman completely fooled, and I have my own trusted people in his office who give me minute-by-minute reports. Just watch your father work... now, we just have to make Rija disappear!"
(To be continued...)
Legal Notice & Copyrights
Copyrights reserved by the author: Ishrat Zahid (Ishrat Khanum). All rights to this novel, "My Soulmate," are reserved by the author. No part of this story, plot twist, or dialogue may be shared on any website, social media platform (Facebook, Instagram, or X), YouTube channel, or as an audiobook without the prior written permission of the author. Any violation will lead to strict legal action under the Copyright Act.
Disclaimer
This is a work of fiction intended solely for entertainment. All characters, names, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons (living or dead) or actual events is purely coincidental.

Comments
Post a Comment